A catalog of gold and silver coins of the world is an illustrated directory of numismatists. It contains full information about the coin – description (weight, diameter, year of minting, image on obverse and reverse, price, weight) and gallery with photos. The information is collected by periods of circulation, area, and type of coins. Catalogs will be useful to those who want to determine the worth of old coins, check their authenticity by description, add to the collection or make money on buying/selling.
The catalogs required for studying
The author of the most famous series of catalogs and publications on numismatics – Chester Krause – retired soldier, who in 1952 founded his own publishing house (Krause Publication). In the same year, the first “Numismatic news” was published, a few years later (1972) the first “Catalog of World Coins” (Catalog Krause) was published. A convenient structure allows you to find the right coins (a total of 50,000 images) quickly. All items are structured not only by country but also by denominations, and by dates of issue. The most valuable information is the fair evaluation of the market price of coins and the degree of their preservation.
Do you know? Chester Krause took a great interest in collecting coins. He also collected antique cars, military equipment, maps of the world and stamps. Noticing the lack of information that would be useful for collectors, he founded his own publishing house. Chester published the first print edition of Numismatic News on one sheet, and then the legendary Catalog Krause appeared. To ensure that the information was as accurate as possible, the author traveled around the world and attended gatherings of collectors.
The catalog of coins quickly gained fame in the USA and gained recognition outside the country. Chester Krause continued the annual release, dedicated to the coins of different periods. The publications were not translated into foreign languages. They were published in English (in 2018 they were translated into Russian). However, that did not stop the numismatists from different countries from purchasing the publications and using them as a desk book.
The popularity of the publication became a reason for new publications:
- Standard Catalog of World Coins;
- Unusual world coins;
- North American Coins & Prices;
- Standard Catalog of World Paper Money.
Do you know? The first International Convention on Collectible Coins was held in August 1962 in Detroit, Michigan. There were more than 40,000 numismatists at the exhibition.
The catalog of coins with prices is a valuable publication in the world of numismatics. The publication contains information on the presence/absence of coins, on the issuances of a certain country (issuer) in a particular period of circulation. The publication was not the only one; it includes publications dedicated to four periods:
Any beginning collector or expert can build on this professionally compiled information, create his own collection of gold and silver coins, evaluate their worth or learn the history of development and reform of monetary systems. The catalogs are available in bookstores – in the departments of numismatics.
Do you know? To become a coin collector, you do not need to be rich. Most numismatists can purchase valuable copies at their face value. Some coins in the US can be purchased for only $ 10.
In Russia, the most popular and complete catalogs are published by the “Conros” publishing house:
- The basic catalog “Coins of Russia 1700-1917”. The catalog is unique in terms of number of expensive Russian coins, their cost and price difference for some items. The authors distinguished a lot of different kinds of coins, added unknown rare coins. The classification system is developed by type and variety. The new information appears in the electronic version of the catalog.
- The catalog-directory “Coins of the RSFSR, the USSR and Russia of 1921-2014”. In 2013, the 36th edition of the catalog was published. It contains colorful illustrations of coins before and after the USSR, a brief description, the cost of rare items, as well as summary prices for the collections.
A valuable publication for numismatist is the “Consolidated catalog of Russian coins of 1699-1917” – a bestseller in two volumes, published in 2003. The catalog presents coins of tsarist Russia. The author of the publication is V.V. Bitkin.
Do you know? Collecting coins is sometimes called the “Hobby of Kings”, not because some copies are too expensive, but because the coins made of precious metals have always been valued among the rulers. The queens and kings had their own collections, and the hobby of numismatics has been known for thousands of years.
Highly specialized catalogs
Periodicals, which supplement the existing catalogs with valuable information, are published annually:
- Scientific and informational magazine “Numismatics”. Fresh information, which you won’t find in catalogs – about new coins of Japan with photos and bullion coins of Australia, Canada, and Russia.
- “Coins and Banknotes of the World” magazine. Useful publications to learn about coins of the world in addition to popular catalogs of the USA or rare items (Thailand, Poland, Egypt, Albania, China, etc.).
- Ukrainian magazine “Numismatics and Phaleristics”. The additional material to the catalog of coins of Ukraine and foreign countries, it is quite interesting and informative (issued since 1994).
- German numismatic magazine “Das Fenster”. Information in the original language in addition to catalogs of coins in Germany, France and other European countries with advice on collecting.
- Austrian specialized magazine “Die Munze”. Similar publications in German with stories and evolution of coins.
- Weekly publication “Coins and banknotes”. Interesting information about the largest collections and new copies.
Prank sombody with the fake Windows 10 upgrade screen which never ends. Open the site in a web browser and go full screen with the F11 key.
An electronic version of modern catalogs of bullion coins of emitters from different countries, including the Central Bank of Russia (the coins that are sold by Sberbank), can be found on the Internet.
Do you know? The world’s largest library with a full collection of materials on numismatics was founded in 1891 in Colorado Springs. It was founded by Dr. Jorge Hes Monroe, a collector who lived in a small town and did not have access to a lot of information about coins. He sent out invitations to other numismatists from small towns that were isolated from knowledge. A group of people united under the name “American Numismatic Association”.
Printed catalogs of the Central Bank of the Russian Federation with the description of bullion and commemorative coins:
- Commemorative ten-ruble coins 2002-2009 – Central Bank of the Russian Federation;
- Commemorative coins of Russia – Central Bank of the Russian Federation;
- Commemorative and bullion coins of Russia 1832-2005 – Central Bank of the Russian Federation.
Catalogs of different countries
The most interesting catalogs of different countries:
- Austria. Mince Marie Terezie. 1740-1780 – Vlastislav Novotny, 2001;
- Asia and Africa. The coins of the countries of foreign Asia and Africa: XIX-XX centuries – Moshnyagin D.I., Zhuk A.B., 1967;
- Bulgaria. Bulgarian Coins Catalog 1881 – Present, 2007 and 2010;
- Mexico. Numismatics of Mexico – Rajabli A., 1997;
- Poland. Coins of Europe from 1815 to the present day. Coins of Poland– Antonov V.N., 1991;
- The Baltics. Coins of Baltic states XIII-XVIII centuries – Fedorov D.Y., 1966.